Volunteer Lawyers & Professionals for the Arts (VLPA)
The Arts & Business Council connects artists and arts organizations with the services, skills and opportunities they need to thrive from their creative endeavors. To this end, the Arts & Business Council provides the following free services to artists and arts organizations through the VLPA program. It offers pro-bono legal services to low-income artists of all disciplines, as well as legal and business assistance to emerging nonprofit arts organizations.
Legal services for artists and arts organizations, including:
- Drafting and reviewing contracts
- Protecting your work with copyright and trademark
- Resolving arts-related disputes
- Nonprofit formation
Plus, VLPA connects arts organizations with annual budgets of $1,000,000 or less with skilled professional volunteers in these areas:
- Accounting/Finance – whether setting up accounting and payroll systems, evaluating cash flow management, or budgeting and planning, our skilled volunteer accountants are here to help.
- Computers & Information Technology – our IT volunteers conduct a needs assessment and work with you to address specific problems and improve your organization’s technology systems.
- HR/Personnel – these volunteers can help your organization evaluate and develop personnel, consult on hiring and firing best practices as well as staff and board evaluation tools.
We exist to serve artists—in fact, we have worked with over 1,000 artists and 300 arts nonprofits in the past five years! Even if you don’t see your need listed above or aren’t sure whether you qualify, give us a call. We are here to help. Request services.
BECOMING A VOLUNTEER
To become a volunteer lawyer or professional, please fill out the volunteer profile form here.